Keeping your mental health in check when you’re a student

Mental health problems are as common among students as they are in the general population. Undergraduate, postgraduate, male or female – everybody is susceptible. If you feel persistently unhappy or you’re struggling to cope, don’t keep quiet. Tell someone how you feel, whether it’s a friend, a councillor at the University or a doctor – talking to someone is the first step to feeling better.

University help and support

All counselling services at the University of Aberdeen are free and confidential. We have a range of help available including the University Counselling Service, Nightline and the Student Resident Assistants.

Student Advice & Support Office

Located on the ground floor of the hub, the Student Advice and Support Office is the first point of contact if you need help. You can drop by the office or make an appointment to talk to an advisor.

University Counselling Service

The University’s Counselling Service offers free, confidential counselling on issues which are causing distress and inhibiting effectiveness at University or in an individual’s personal life. You do not have to be in crisis to use counselling.

University Chaplaincy

Based on the High Street, the University Chaplaincy offers counselling as well as additional support and advice for all students. You don’t have to be a member of the chaplaincy to use these services – everyone is welcome.

Aberdeen Students’ Nightline

Nightline is run by students for students. They offer anonymous listening, information and support and remain confidential, anonymous, non-directive, non-advisory and non-judgemental. Open 8pm – 8am every night during term time and the Easter break. If you do not wish to speak on the phone, they also offer an instant messenger service.

Halls Student Resident Assistants (SRAs)

The SRAs are a vital resource based in University accommodation. You can go to them with any concerns you might have – homesickness, exam worries, relationship or family problems, tensions between flatmates or simply if you need someone to talk to in confidence. SRAs work from 6pm – 6am but you can also contact the Community Liaison Officer, based in Adam Smith House, Hillhead, during the day to discuss any concerns.

Help and support out with the University

A variety of external organisations are also available to help and ensure you stay healthy during your time at University. Many, such as Samaritans are available 24 hours a day.

Mental Health Aberdeen

Mental Health Aberdeen is a charity, local to Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire providing support services, counselling and advice to people affected by challenges related to mental health and wellbeing.

Breathing Space

Breathing Space provide a safe and supportive space by listening, offering advice and providing information. You can speak to a Breathing Space advisor on the phone on 0800 83 85 87.

Young Minds

Young Minds offer information to young people about mental health and emotional wellbeing as well as providing a list of organisations that you can contact if you would like to speak to somebody.


Samaritans are available around the clock for confidential advice. You can talk to them any time you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. You can call them on 08457 90 90 90.

More information: