Physical Wellbeing

Physical Health

Physical health is an essential part of your overall health and includes everything from emotional wellbeing to physical fitness. The NHS has a webpage dedicated to student health. Head over for some tips on leading a healthier student lifestyle.

Here at the University of Aberdeen, we’ve got world-class sports facilities at the Aberdeen Sports Village that all of our students can take advantage of and students are invited to join any of the Student Union’s wide range of sports clubs.


Registering with a GP and a Dentist

If you’re here for more than one semester, it’s important that you register with a local GP and dentist. That way, it’ll be easier to get an appointment when you need one.

You can use the NHS Service Directory to find the GP Practice, Sexual Health Clinic, Accident and Emergency Unit, etc. closest to your postcode.


Men’s Health

Video courtesy of TED.

According to the Men’s Health Forum, “One man in five will die before he reaches 65, two in five before the age of 75.”  This doesn’t have to be the case.

Check out the Men’s Health Forum for the everyman’s guide to frequently-asked health questions. You can access the whole guide online.

NHS –  Common men’s health questions.

Malcolm Combe, lecturer of Law here at the University of Aberdeen, has blogged about his experiences with testicular cancer.


Eating Disorders

Eating disorders can happen to anyone and are characterised by an abnormal attitude towards food that causes someone to change their eating habits and behaviour. If you are worried about yourself or a friend, you can speak to someone in Student Advice and Support Services or the University Counselling Service, who can offer advice and guidance.
Your GP will also be able to provide an assessment, advice, and a method of treatment.

AUSA has a comprehensive web page about eating disorders.

More information:


First Aid

If you or a fellow student is involved in an accident on the University Campus and require a First Aider, you should go to the nearest University building and ask for a First Aider. There will usually be a First Aider notice displayed nearby with contact telephone numbers to reach them on.

If the accident is serious and/or life threatening then you should dial 999 immediately.

Everyday First Aid Advice



While we all like to get comfy whilst working with our PC’s, we can sometimes forget the damage we could be doing to our bodies. For information on how best to sit at desks visit: