According to HSE statistics every year around 11 people die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Don’t become a statistic; there are things you can do to keep safe.

If you are living in rented accommodation, your landlord has to have any gas appliance that they own regularly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer and issue you with a copy of the gas safety record following the annual gas safety check. Notify HSE if your landlord does not, on request, provide you with a copy of the record.

You can also ensure that you are protecting yourself by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm (it is not your landlord’s responsibility to provide a carbon monoxide alarm). If it is a battery operated device, you need to test that the battery is working on a regular basis, just as you would with a smoke alarm.

For more information please visit the HSE website:

Fully Registered Engineers
HSE – Information Poster
HSE Information Leaflet
HSE – A Guide to landlords duties
HSE – Guide to Appliances